One of my very favorite sweet treats is the apple pie candy apple from Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory. It’s so delicious and I always feel a little less guilty for indulging since a large part of the treat is an apple, which makes it totally healthy, right?! I like to pretend that is true!
This fall, I decided that I would try to re-create the apple pie candy apple on my own. I must say, it turned out quite delicious and it was very easy and pretty fun to make! I’ve shared my simple recipe with you all below, let me know what you think!
APPLE PIE CANDY APPLES
- 5 Green Apples*
- White Baking Chocolate
- 1 Bag Kraft Caramels
- 2 Tbsp Water
- 1/4 Cup Brown Sugar
- 3 Tbsp Sugar
- 2 Tbsp Cinnamon
- 5 Sticks or Skewers
*It is best to use a sour green apple, it contrasts well with the sweetness!
1. Wash your apples, twist off the stems, and insert your wooden sticks into the center.
2. Unwrap the Kraft Caramels and place into a small pot (preferably a deep one). Add 2 Tbsp water and heat on medium, stirring occasionally until melted.
3. Dunk the apples in the caramel. If the caramel does not reach near the top of your apple, you can tilt the pot to get the apple deeper. Spin the apple to let excess caramel drip off and scrap the bottom.
4. Place the apples on wax paper or greased foil. Let cool for 20 to 30 mins. If the excess caramel has formed a puddle around the bottom of the apple, simply fold it over around the bottom.
5. Repeat step 3 and 4. By double dipping, you really get the best flavor!
6. Combine Brown Sugar, Cinnamon, and Sugar.
7. Melt your white chocolate in a double boiler to ensure that it comes out smooth. If you do not have a double boiler you can fill a frying pan with water and place the chocolate in the bowl in the center of the pan on medium heat. Stir until completely melted.
8. Dunk the apple in the melted chocolate, letting excess drip off.
9. Pat the cinnamon and sugar mixture around the outside of the apple.
10. Let cool for at least 1 hour. For best results, cool in refrigerator so that the caramel hardens completely.
11. Cut, serve, and enjoy!